Thursday, February 24, 2011

Learning and The Dangers of Expertise

This talk provides good food for thought. Do watch it if you're interested in KM, Collaboration or Learning. The speaker warns us about the dangers of blindly believing so-called experts and not questioning them enough and about societies having to feel more comfortable about managing dissent. 


Someone from the audience asks a very valid question - About the impact that this might have on how we teach children. Here's what methinks:


Maybe this points to a clear need for collective learning amongst children? Rather than a teacher standing up in front of the class and preaching? And of course, the need for education to accommodate questions from students, Montessori style.


And, finally, consider this post in juxtaposition with the previous C&H strip. See the joke? :-)

5 comments:

Sushil Kumar said...

I will surely bookmark this. Great blog

Stranger in a Strange Land said...

We have a world full of experts and nothing works very well. The intelligent would question this, but unfortunutely, too many in our world rely on the experts to do there thinking and thus we find ourselves in the mess that we are in. In my unexpert opinion an expert will tell you what you can or cannot do and by so doing block one's natural intelligence that lies outside the perimeters of expertise. And shame on all those who dare to defy the dull minded and dull witted PR mercenaries of our governments and corporations.

Take care,
Mike Hopkins
Sweden
ps: I like your ponderings.

Nimmy said...

Wise words, Mike. :) Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I must admit that many of my introspective moments have shifted to channels like twitter and FB. I must rediscover the joy of writing longish posts on the blog and comments from people like you helps! :)

Just took a look at your blog and it looks like I am going to spend a lot of time reading your thoughts. :D

Stranger in a Strange Land said...

Hello Nimmy:

Thank you for your kind words and glad you liked my blog. You are always welcome to visit.

I see FB and Twitter as distractions that take one alway from our deeper introspections. It takes time to think and create out of all our past experinces and knowledge acquired and yet inspiration can come in an instant when we quiet our minds from all the distractions within and without. My best insights just pop into my head with any effort on my part. I just look at a question and the answer comes sometimes, but not always.

My kindest regards,
Mike

Nimmy said...

I must agree with you, though I sometimes relish the challenge that Twitter throws my way because it restricts one to 140 characters of wisdom! ;-)