Friday, May 18, 2007

Any which way!!!!!!

When in college, one of my friends had put up a poem on her shelf which I came across for the first time ever and was highly impressed. It had an enormous impact on me at that time because I was in a phase where I was consciously trying to become more mature & understanding after having got into trouble for some childish behaviour. Childish here basically means something to do with expecting favours and beliefs to be returned (silly indeed!). I think the poem helped me not just re-look at my lack of maturity but also go on to understand the significance of values. It left a lasting impression on me but I did not have it bookmarked. A few days ago, I came across the same poem in a colleague’s cubicle and it brought back nostalgic memories. I promptly decided to fish it out and bookmark it on my blog. Thanks to Google, it was a 5-minute job.

People are often unreasonable, illogical, and self-centred;

Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, People may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies;
Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you;
Be honest and frank anyway.

What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight.

Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous;
Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough;
Give the world the best you've got anyway.

You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and God;
It was never between you and them anyway.

Source: http://ucdsm.org/sermons/2005-5-1-safford.htm

1 comment:

Happy Kitten said...

My fav poem!