Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Small drops....and the secret of being happy

Came across 2 very interesting tidbits in my philosophy feeds:

**************************************************
I've gone for regular satsang for 30 years now, and in that time, I have heard something like 3000 lectures.
But for the life of me I can't remember a single one of them. So, I think I'm wasting my time and the preachers
are wasting theirs by giving sermons at all?

- I've been married for 30 years now. In that time, my wife has cooked some 32,000 meals. But, for the life of me I
cannot recall the entire menu for a single one of those meals. But I do know this: They all nourished me and gave me the
strength I needed to do my work. If my wife had not given me those meals, I would be physically dead today. Likewise,
if I had not gone to the satsangs for nourishment, I would be spiritually dead today!

Faith sees the invisible, believes the incredible, and receives the impossible! Thank God for our physical and our spiritual
nourishment!


****************************************

- excerpts of editorial from CHYK online magazine

Do you have a photographic memory?

Photographic?

Yes, and how did you get it? Ever wondered how a camera operates? Of course, you know the answer. Just load a roll into the camera, focus and click. So simple.

What's so great about that?

Wait. Let's go back in slow motion. The fun starts now.

In slow motion?

You load a roll into the camera. You click. Then what?

An impression is formed on the roll and the object aimed or focussed at is imprinted on the roll.

But you can't see it now?

No, not until the roll is developed. Only then can you see the actual photograph.

And what if there were no roll in the camera?

Obviously, no photos, no snaps. just a trigger happy shutterbug.

Happy?

Did I say that?

Yes. And this is exactly the way the mind operates. I see an object. An impression is formed on my mind. Either I like it or dislike it. Then, if I allow the impression to develop, it creates a desire to achieve that object. I either achieve it or I do not. Either way, an impression is formed all over again, and I set out to...............................................And the fun called Maya starts.

These impressions formed in the mind, which are the basis of my future course of Actions, are called Vasanas in Sanskrit. And I have very many of them, some known, some unknown. The roll represents the 'I', the ego. Anything that comes in contact with it immediately leaves an impression behind, I want, or I do, or I enjoy.

But ever wondered what would have happened if there were no roll in the camera? No impressions would have been formed. Click, click. No impressioons. Click, click, click. Again, no impressions. No vasanas formed. So no desires. No I. No selfishness.Such a person works unselfishly for the benefit of everyone around.

The man without the roll. The mark of a realised soul. The mark of the Free, The Happy.

No comments: