Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Planetarium

One of my friends and I'd been to the Bangalore Planetarium last week! It was an interesting experience though it could be made even more exciting if more information were to be passed on. (I've been there once before but it was too long back for me to remember anything) There was a short documentary on Kalpana Chawla and some of her exploits and views which made inspiring viewing. (She, btw, says in the documentary that it was always very easy for her to be inspired and motivated by others doing what they set out for) The rest of it was about the planets, stars, scientists, astronomers and the like. One fact caught my mind. (The first thing I told myself was that it ought to be blogged).

The astronomers utilize one particular occasion to study the 'rim' of the sun. And that's the solar eclipse. It makes it very easy for the astronomers to study the sun at this time basically because the moon blocks most part of the sun and there's just the outer circle of the sun showing during the solar eclipse! So, here's my (paradox) punch line - It takes darkness to study light!

No comments: