Sunday, January 09, 2005

Values I relate to...

I read something really nice in the papers today...

"One good heart is better than many good heads" (Is this another duel between positive emotions and rational thinking?)

"Forget the statistics. Enjoy the game!" - Boy, do I agree! This, btw, is the title of Ayaz Memon's regular column on cricket in the Times of India. I simply love the way Ayaz Memon writes. His language and style is extremely cool!

I might sound crazy here but I don't care - I sincerely believe that more and better things would get done if only we were to deal with work this way - "Forget the numbers and the bottom line, enjoy the work!" Focusing on the numbers and the bottom line all the time takes away the attention from actual work. It takes away the passion and love for work per se. Creative thinking doesn't happen with people always trying to make money. Of course, an organization exists to make money, but at least, let the management mind its own 'business'. Let it not harass the employees with its talk about making money all the time. Let the employees get creative. Give them the money they need to keep their passion intact and to explore and invent! Good things don't happen by only focusing on what should be coming in (profits) but also equally or maybe more importantly, on what's going in (investments). My fear - is the service sector doomed to look at the money alone and not get as creative as, say, the product makers?

No comments: